John Fairfield received his Juris Doctor degree and entered law practice in 1982, beginning practice with the small suburban law firm of Moore & Cady in Platte City, Missouri. His law practice included a variety areas, including real estate, business law, municipal, probate, litigation, estate planning, domestic relations, and criminal law.
John later practiced law with Collins, Fairfield, Fowler, & Harlan, while also serving as Municipal Judge for the City of Platte Woods, Missouri for eight years, before being elected to the Kansas City, Missouri City Council in 2003. During his Council service, John Fairfield served as Vice Chair of the Planning, Zoning, and Economic Development Committee. After his service on the City Council, he joined the Polsinelli law firm in 2007, where his areas of practice were primarily focused on real estate development, and working with state and local governments with respect to incentives, and zoning. He left the Polsinelli firm at the end of 2010 to go into solo practice. His current practice areas are described in this website.
John Fairfield’s professional legal career, civic involvement and pre-law employment have provided him the opportunity to hone his skills as a negotiator and consensus builder, which is necessary to resolve issues and achieve success when working with government officials and staff. He understands how to balance project goals and the cost of achieving those goals in order to not lose track of the client’s ultimate goals.
Current Professional & Civic Organizations
- Downtown Council (essentially downtown Kansas City chamber), Co-Chair of Infrastructure Committee
- Downtowners (downtown Kansas City networking group), President 2013-2014
- Northland Regional Chamber of Commerce, Chair 1994
- Citizens Association Board of Directors (non-partisan political club, which screens & endorses Kansas City Mayoral and Council candidates)
- Forward Kansas City (non-partisan political club, which screens & endorses Kansas City Mayoral and Council candidates) President ten years
- Missouri Growth Association (focus on economic development)
- Swope Health Foundation, current Board member and Treasurer
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Missouri Bar Association
- No Names (non-profit club that visits nursing home residents)
- Platte County Bar Association, President 1998