State & Local Government Relations & Incentives

Government Relations / Lobbying

John Fairfield’s many years of civic involvement and service as a City Councilman provides him unique experience and understanding to deal with multiple levels of state and local government public officials and staff.  It also gives him the ability to understand government policies and processes necessary to successfully navigate a client’s business or project through the complex and sometimes frustrating aspects of government.

Certain development projects may need help with strategy, negotiations, ordinances or legislation, and making presentations to the key decision makers within government.


Incentives in Kansas City, Missouri are processed through the Kansas City EDC and its Advance KC program.  The State of Missouri processes incentives primarily through the Department of Economic Development.  Different incentives provide different benefits, which may include tax abatement, redirection of increased taxes to offset certain development costs, special taxes or assessments within a specified district that directly benefit the district, tax credits, or trigger other local or state benefits.  All incentives require certain conditions to be met, and local and/or state government approval.  Some typical local incentives and associated agencies are:

  • Planned Industrial Expansion Authority (PIEA)
  • Land Clearance for Redevelopment Authority (LCRA)
  • Tax Increment Financing (TIF) – can also be local Super TIF or State TIF
  • Community Improvement District (CID)
  • Neighborhood Improvement District (NID)
  • Transportation Development District (TDD)
  • Chapter 353 tax abatement
  • Chapter 100 Program
  • Various other incentives or tax credit programs


Zoning, UR (Urban Redevelopment), Board of Zoning Adjustment (Variance, and/or Special Use Permits)

Often new development or redevelopment require the property to be rezoned to permit the project to move forward, or require a variance or special use permit under the zoning code for some aspect of the project.  The developer may need or desire Urban Redevelopment (“UR”) zoning for the project to meet the special needs of the development, or the city may require a UR, which must be approved by the City Council.